Sunday, January 27, 2013

John Green: The Worlds New Favorite Author?



John Green - [Image from NPR.org]
The Faults In Our Stars author is the hottest thing out there right now. He's currently holding THREE spots on the New York Times Young Adult Best Sellers list for the week of February 3, 2013, and I'm sure he's not stopping there.

His most recent novel, The Fault in Our Stars (Oriana's favorite), took the No. 2 slot while Looking for Alaska came in at No. 5, and Paper Towns held at No. 11.

But what is it about his books that has everyone falling head over heels in love with them?

Me personally, I've never read his books (they're on my to-read list), so I can't answer that question. But I know Oriana has, so I asked if she could give us an explanation.

She responded, "The best way for me to explain why people are so in love with John Green's writing is because he brings the characters to life. When I read The Faults In Our Stars, I swear Augustus, Hazel and Isaac were people I knew. Someone I went to high school with.

 Their characteristics were so real. Their banter, their sarcasm, their out look on life. It's almost as if he captures moments, people, and time in a book so you can go back and re-live it. They weren't characters that were billionaires and impossibly good-looking (although they were hot), they were people hot. Not hot like an Adonis (good-looking, without being impossibly good-looking), but hot like normal people are hot. Only a great author could write about it, you know?

He doesn't just write to give you a book, but he writes so that you can feel it.  When you're done with his book, it's almost like a memory you never knew you knew. It has been revived in your memory, and you'll never forget it again. It's almost magical. And as humans we don't see or believe in magic much. It's amazing."

So we see why she love's John Green, but why do you? What was it about his story-telling abilities that hooked you? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.



0 comments:

Post a Comment